District Cost Savings Make a Difference
Ongoing successes at reducing costs in many areas helps us keep rates to customers lower. Keeping costs down is an ongoing priority as the examples below demonstrate.
Cost Cutting Successes
- Cross Training allows a small workforce of only 12 people to operate the District.
- Contracting Out for Lower-Cost Private Sector Services, such as laboratory testing, pipeline cleaning, legal services, engineering, and more.
- Internship Program offers wastewater experience and professional development, while lowering costs and carrying out valuable work.
- Collaborating with Neighbor Agencies Improves Service and Lowers Costs. We share technical and safety training, engineering studies, and emergency response equipment.
Reducing Retirement Costs
- Employees Pay Their Full Share of Retirement Costs, saving about $100,000 per year by that time.
- Pre-paid Retirement Side Fund. A recently paid off retirement fund will save over $20,000 in interest and decrease future pension payments.
- Evaluating Pre-Funding Post-Retirement Health Care Obligations to decrease long-term costs.
- Reduced retirement benefit level for new employees by implementing the 2013 State Public Employee Pension Reform Act (PEPRA).